The 8th of June is the World Ocean Day.
The UNs Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon stated ” Urgent action on a global scale is needed to alleviate the world’s oceans from the many pressures they face, and to protect them from future dangers that may tip them beyond the limits of their carrying capacity. ”
United Nations statement on why do we celebrate World Oceans Day?
- Reminder for everyone of the major role the oceans have in everyday life. Oceans are the lungs of our planet, as they provide most of the oxygen we breathe.
- Informing the public of the impact of human actions on the ocean.
- Develop a worldwide movement of citizens for the ocean.
- Mobilize and unite the world’s population on a project for the sustainable management of the world’s oceans. They are a major source of food and medicines and a critical part of the biosphere.
- Celebrate together the beauty, the wealth and the promise of the ocean.